Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mr. Penguin's Sidekick

Mr. Penguin's Sidekick

"What should we do today?"

"Penguin."

"We've already done a penguin." We had actually done several sacks with penguins including a cliff with penguins on it, a cartoon penguin, and a pirate penguin.

"No. Mr. Penguin," he clarified, looking at a small Penguin action figure on the kitchen table.

"Oh," I said. I did a search and handed him my iPhone. He looked for several minutes without saying a word. I prodded him to pick something.

"Can you just do Penguin's sidekick because there's no good penguins. They're all too fat or cartoons."

Penguin is fat and he is a cartoon, I thought to myself. I wasn't sure what he was talking about. "Who's his sidekick?"

He showed me this guy. "His sidekick's funny. He-he."

"Okay," I told him. Outside of the action figure he got as an accessory to some Batman related toy, I wasn't sure where he'd seen "Mr. Penguin" or his supposed "sidekick." "Where've you seen The Penguin?" I asked him.

"Scooby Doo."

I doubted that, but just let it go. I used the thick tip of the Sharpie for the first time in a long while. I felt unsure of my strokes but this was a simple drawing. I was done in just a couple of minutes.

I showed it to him and he smiled. "Since you're done so quickly, can you do The Penguin too?"

"Um, I didn't leave any room for The Penguin."

"You can do him down here like this," he told me, pointing to the bottom of the sack.

"Maybe, but you have to pick a reference."

He looked for about a minute. When I prodded him to pick something, he gave up and said, "Never mind."

I didn't press it, preferring to finally have some free time in the morning.

As he finished his breakfast he said, "Your nose is kind of like The Penguin's nose. It's kind of sharp."

"Thaaanks," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents