Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How about the school...

Design39Campus

We had a conversation about the snack sacks last night. "So, tomorrow, we'll draw our first snack sack of the year," I said with excitement in my voice.

"Can I tell my teacher that everyday you'll draw something cool? Can I tell her that?"

"Sure. Will you want me to do a drawing lesson with your class?"

"Sure. You want me to ask her?"

"Um, later."

"So, like, tomorrow maybe."

"No, later. Just try to get settled first."

"Okay, so maybe the next day," he said, clearly excited to get the ball rolling.

Today is his first day of the school year. He's in 2nd grade now and attending a new school constructed over the summer called Design39Campus. The school was literally completed just in time. Their promise is to do school differently by using both online and hands-on project based teaching that encourages design thinking and a growth mindset. He's excited because the school is big and new....and...that he gets to use his iPad everyday there. We are both curious to see how things go.

This morning it felt good to sit down with a Sharpie and a snack sack after such a long pause. "Tomorrow you can pick whatever you want; but, today, I want to draw something specific for the first day of school -- something that represents your new school or the 2nd grade."

We discussed several options but couldn't settle in on an idea even after several minutes of going back and forth. Finally, he said, "How about the school with me on a path riding a skateboard to school."

"But you don't even know how to skateboard," I stated very practically.

"I know, but it will look cool."

I couldn't argue. I searched for a suitable reference picture of the school. I ended up picking one of the original schematic drawings from the design plans.

I got to work, but failed to manage proportions well. I quickly ran out of room. I was frustrated with my progress throughout. Not only was I out of practice from having taken a break all summer, but I was hot and feverish. I had a rough night last night and was feeling quite ill this morning. I was having trouble concentrating. The only thing I had going for me is that I had plenty of time.

I just kept plugging away hoping that the finished product would turn out okay. Once I had finished the building, I decided to draw Victor on the roof instead of on a skateboard. He loves climbing so he was pleased with the change.

"Ah-ha-he ha-haha," is what he said when he saw it. I guess he liked it. 

When he came home from school, I asked, "How was your first day?"

"It was awesome!"

"Oh, yeah!? Why?"

"Because they let me play Minecraft!" he shouted. "It wasn't only educational stuff they let you do on the iPad."

"I'm sure they'll crack down soon," I told him.

It wasn't until later in the evening that I noticed that he didn't bring this one home. Perhaps he simply forgot to since it's been a while. That's too bad. At this point, I'd like to save them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents