Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Yoyo Dodo

Yoyo Dodo

"What should we do today?"

"Looney Tunes character!"

"Okay. Which one?"

"Daffy. No. The Dodo. The Wacky Dodo. The last of the Dodos."

I wasn't sure which character he was talking about so I looked it up. "His name is Yoyo Dodo," I told him.

"Yeah! Yoyo Dodo."

"Why'd you pick him today?"

"I don't know. Yoyo Dodo is one of the weirdest characters I've seen."

I did a search, but there weren't too many options to choose from. He wasn't thrilled about picking this particular reference, but I pressed him to just pick something after he browsed for several minutes.

I like a thick stroke for cartoon characters so I tried my hand at the thick tip of the Sharpie today. As always, it was tricky to control the ink flow. Plus, the tip wasn't a full point anymore, making the whole process more difficult than it would have been with the thin tip.

He came over to take a look. "That actually looks like the picture of the Dodo, but it doesn't look like the Dodo because that's not how the Dodo acts." He pantomimed a series of gestures to relay the difference. Yoyo Dodo is a zany character and I suppose this view of him walking away didn't do his zaniness justice. After watching the cartoon in which Yoyo Dodo appears, "Porky in Wackyland," I see what he means. Oh, well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents