Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Bug-eyed Bugs Bunny Freaking Out

Bug-eyed Bugs Bunny Freaking Out

"I need to know what to do for the snack sack because I don't have a lot of time." We were running very late today.

"Okay, let me see." He grabbed his iPad mini and began scanning the hundreds of Looney Tunes related screenshots he captured over the summer. Yesterday we did Leo the Lion. "It's easy. It's just Bugs Bunny's face." He studied it and added, "If you want, I can pick and easier one."

I took a look at it and said, "It's okay, I think I can do this one." It was actually a still from the half live-action, half cartoon movie, "Looney Tunes: Back in Action."

These types of silly expressions are one of my favorite things about older style cartoons like Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and the like. These funny faces always made me laugh as a kid because they are such outrageous exaggerations. Having said that, I'm not particularly fond of drawing them out of context. There have been many other times I've declined, but today, I had no time to be choosy.

I sat down and made quick work of it. After being feverish for the past couple of days, it was nice to be able to concentrate better with a less cloudy head. In the snapshot, his mouth was cropped in the frame. I didn't want to draw it like that, so I drew in what I expected Bugs's lower lip to look like.

When he saw the finished drawing, he smiled. Then he said, "I'm going to color in the mouth and the tongue and the..." He trailed off.

I thought he meant later, but he picked out a Sharpie from the drawer and began coloring in the back of Bugs's throat. I was nervous that he'd color outside the lines, but he was pretty careful as he filled it in.

He saw the look of concern on my face and asked, "Do you have that look on your face because I took one of your Sharpies?"

I ignored the question. "We really don't have any more time Victor. We've got to go." It was true. We had to get going.

He finished up and I quickly fixed the outlines to keep the edges looking smooth. He looked at it and smiled one last time before he slid it into his backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents