Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Daily Snack Sack Project Begins

The Daily Snack Sack Project Begins

Victor over waterVictor under water
My 6 year old son Victor has quite simply made me a better person.

I take him to school every day and my morning walk with him is the highlight of my day. Our morning conversations are extremely fun too. He often wakes up chatty and full of thoughts.

Part of the daily routine is packing his lunch. He started kindergarten this year and the rules are that a morning snack has to be packed separate. For some reason it didn't occur to me to use a reusable bag for his snack like I do for his lunch.

I bought a stack of 100 classic brown paper lunch sacks from the local grocery store. I hadn't seen these things since I took lunch to school 30 years ago. Of course, his name goes on the bag and like most parents I wrote his name on the bag in basic print every morning. After a few weeks of this, it felt a bit dull to simply put his name on the bag in the same basic print so I began to think of new ways to write his name. I started with embellishing basic print techniques, creating different variations of block letters to spell his name. After a few days of this I decided to make it a daily project. I would challenge myself to come up with a unique way to print his name on his sack each and very morning.

This is perhaps the 20th bag I had done. I felt creative here using a bit more than just block letters, exploring the idea of incorporating some art work in with the letters. Here the letters are floating above and below the water and I drew on both sides of the bag. I didn't tell him I was going to do this and didn't even ask his opinion. When he noticed it, he didn't get the effect at first. It's not very good and I didn't do much to make the "water" look realistic. But he liked it and I knew the coming days would yield something new and interesting every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents