Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Hydra

Hydra

Yesterday, he brought home the book, "How to Draw Magical Creatures and Mythical Beasts," from the school library. I flipped through the book last night. When I hit page 20 I let out an involuntary gasp. My wife asked me what was wrong. "I know what he's going to pick tomorrow," I said, horrified.

Sure enough, he did pick it. In fact, he went right to it this morning without any prompting from me. "There's this super cool dragon thing with 9 heads!" he exclaimed, reaching for the book. He flipped quickly through it. "It's this one!" he shouted, pointing excitedly at it.

I read out loud from the book: "Hydra. The Hydra in Greek mythology was said to guard the entrance to the underworld beneath the waters of Lake Lerna. Heracles killed this hideous creature as one if his twelve labors."

I had plenty of time today so I just went for it. I took my time, never sure if it would all come together. I was fearful of running out of time, but I managed it pretty well, working faster as I got further along. It took me about 35 minutes to complete.

"Oh. My. Gosh." is what he said when he saw it.

OMG, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents