Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Statue of Liberty

Statue of Liberty

"Snack sack!?!"

"The Sta-tue of Li-ber-ty," he said in a sing-song voice, then asked, "Do you know what the Statue of Liberty is made of?"

"Iron?" I guessed without thinking.

"No, copper," he replied satisfied to have stumped me. "Do you know why it's greenish?"

"Why?"

"Because when the salt water and the mist, which has little drops of water with salt in it, touches it, it turns green."

I was impressed by his answer. He must have learned a bit about the Statue of Liberty at school yesterday. This one was weird for me because I drew it bottom-up starting with the base platform. When I got to the bottom of her robe I became nervous that I would mess it all up. I paid extra care not to.

"The statue's face looks so weird," he told me. When I didn't answer him, he asked persistently, "Do you think so? Do you?"

"Yeah," I said dejectedly. I knew I'd messed up her face and didn't want to dwell on it.

He went to brush his teeth and came back when I had just finished. "Why did you have to draw lines on my letters?"

"Because I wanted to make it look like bricks."

He ignored me and took control of the Sharpie adding clouds, a bird, and his own version of his name as he sang to himself. I guess he was in a singing mood this morning.

"He has fire on his butt," he said as he drew firey looking lines. 

"What is that? A bird?" I asked.

"No that's a 'v' and its butt's on fire."

"Oh," I said. It's been a while since he added his letters randomly like that. 

"'o' is like a meteor. He came all the way from the sky."

I refrained from reminding him that less is sometimes more. This time, I enjoyed watching him have fun with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents