Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Robot Monster

Robot Monster

Robot Monster

"What's for the snack sack today?" I asked absently. I was distracted by work issues this morning.

"My robot. Daddy, do my robot," he said without delay. He was talking about one of his toys.

I didn't respond, lost in my email inbox.

"Never mind. Just do a robot from your phone," he said as I looked up at him.

I'm not sure why he changed his mind about his own robot, but I didn't press. I dismissed his first few options since he kept picking complex transformer-like humanoids. I didn't want to spend the time today drawing all that detail. Plus, I was expecting him to pick something more like a traditional robot which is the image that came to my mind when he first said "robot".

When he picked this image, I initially rejected it as well. He was frustrated with me so I took a closer look and realized that this is a very cool scene. What's more, I always enjoy working on blacked out drawings like this one. They look so striking! I was able to put my work stress aside and become fully immersed in this one. It took a lot longer than I expected. Just coloring in all the black took quite a while, especially on the parts where I took care to leave outlines and highlights uncolored. I'm glad we stuck with this choice because it's actually one of my all-time favorites.

He told me not to write "Victor Monster" which is definitely what I would have done had he not said anything. He was excited to add his name, although I wasn't happy with where he put it. The sneaky R, however, found a great spot hiding amid the rubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents