Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Starbucks Mermaid

Starbucks Mermaid Logo Plus Two Dinosaurs

"What's for the snack sack today?"

He gazed over the countertops and said, "Starbucks Mermaid," as he spied our tall, clear Starbucks straw-cup on the counter.

"By itself or on a cup or something?" I asked for clarification.

"By itself," he said, adding, "and then you can draw a background."

The Starbucks Mermaid turned out to be one of the hardest things I've ever attempted to draw. The positive and negative space was so difficult for me to manage and keep straight. I threw away my first attempt. Things started out a little better on the second try, but I would have tossed it out too had I had more time. I suppose it came out okay all things considering, especially if you look at it from afar. 

He came by and said, "Ooo! I like it! I like it! Do you have time to draw a background or something?"

"No," I told him, "but there might be enough time for you to draw a background."

And that's what he did. "I'm going to do designs," he said, but then drew a couple of dinosaurs instead. "Am I a good drawer? Because I can draw legs that look 3D?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said encouragingly.

I could tell he was proud of himself as he put the finishing touches on his flair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents