Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Jack Skellington

Jack Skellington

"What's for the snack sack today?" I asked for the first time in 10 days. He was off for winter break all last week.

"Jack Skellington?" he said curiously.

"Makes sense," I told him. He had asked for Jack Skellington on the last day before the break but then changed his mind to Oogie Boogie.

"Why do all of these look scary?" he asked browsing through the options. After careful consideration he said, "This one."

"I thought you'd pick one of him looking happy," I said, clearly misinterpreting his question.

"I like him looking scary," he confirmed.

I wasn't thrilled with the choice. "It doesn't look exactly like Jack Skellington, don't you think?"

"It looks like him to me."

"Well, let me give it a shot."

This was a hard one. It has an ominous front facing perspective, black-out parts that always take a ton of time, all those slender finger segments, and that creepy smile. As I drew, it didn't look like much of anything until it all came together toward the very end.

"Oh good!" he said nodding with a big smile as soon as he saw it finished.

When I picked him up in the afternoon, one of his friends came up to me and said with a big smile herself, "You are such a good artist."

"What'd you say?" her mom asked curiously. 

"He's such a good artist!"

"How do you know that?"

"Because he draws on Victor's snack sack everyday. It's so awesome!"

Victor pulled out two snack sacks from his backpack, today's Jack Skellington and the SpongeBob and Patrick one from before the break. He waved them around and showed them off. The mom looked at them amidst the kids squealing and pushing each other to get a better view. 

"Wow, you really are a good artist. Those are amazing!"

"Yeah," her daughter confirmed. "They are so cool!"

I have fans! Hearing the compliments really made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents