Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Skippyjon Jones

Skippyjon Jones

Skippyjon Jones

We had forgotten that he had suggested we do Skippyjon Jones a few days ago after reading one of the funny books in the series. I reminded him this morning.

"Okay, yeah!" he said.

I started this one and had trouble right off the bat. I had to throw the first sack out. I wasn't happy with my second attempt either and threw it out too.

"This is hard," I told him as I was about to start on my third try. It's not very often that I have to throw out a sack. This may be the very first time I've had to throw out two.

"It isn't hard for me," he said confidently.

"Do you want to try?" I asked him. We were running early this morning and I was curious if he'd take on the challenge.

"Yeah sure," he said as if he takes over all the time. In fact, this was the very first time he took complete ownership of the drawing.

I handed him the Sharpie and watched him concentrate for 10 full minutes. Although 10 minutes may not sound like much, it is extremely unusual for him to sit still and focus for such a long period of time. He talked to himself throughout the process. He did a terrific job of looking at the drawing and looking back at the picture being sure to take into account proportions and the alignment of the various strokes. I suggested that he do his name in the style of the title art and he did. This is actually a very good drawing. He did awesome and I was sure to let him feel how proud I was of him and his effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents