Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tasmanian Devil

Tasmanian Devil

Tasmanian Devil

We've been talking about Looney Tunes a lot the past few days. We've never watched any of the cartoons together, but it turns out that he's been watching them at school. He picked the Tasmanian Devil for today although he didn't know him by name. I've been sick for the last few days, so I was hoping for something easy this morning.

As I was drawing, we had a nice chat about all the different Looney Tunes characters. I enjoyed sharing my memories of the characters and snippets of my favorite cartoons. Those characters and their silly antics are engrained in my memory. I began to imagine a day soon when we will sit on the couch to watch some of the classics together. I'll be so interested to study his reactions.

Later, he came back from the bathroom, toothbrush in hand, mouth full of toothpaste.

"I saw Sylvester fall off a building and see stars."

"He probably shook his head and was back to normal, huh?"

"Yeah. That wouldn't happen with real people, right? I would just break my head and be dead, right?"

"Right," I said as I nodded in affirmation. My head and heart felt very heavy all of the sudden.

"Aw, I wish I were a cartoon," he said walking back to the bathroom, brushing his teeth along the way.

I suppose that's why we haven't watched Looney Tunes together yet. They are so violent. But at least he's old enough now to understand the difference between real people and cartoons. I was happy to hear that.

I tried very hard to focus during this one and I believe it's one of my best drawings. Doing so well boosted my spirits in spite of my sniffles. When I look at this one, I feel proud of my abilities and am immediately taken back to second grade. There was a kid at school who could draw the Smurfs and the entire Smurf village to perfection. He would draw them for other kids. Some even gave him money. I always wanted one of his drawings. I was so amazed at how effortlessly he drew the lines and how at some point during the process the character lifted off the page and came to life. I marvel with that same feeling on days like today when the drawing that I'm creating comes alive as the primary characteristics of the character is drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents