Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fireworks

Fireworks

Fireworks

This morning, I was startled awake at 4:30am by my wife's alarm and never really fell back asleep. I was a little cranky and he was a little quiet so we started off our morning together on a down beat.

Yesterday, he brought home a book from the library all about fireworks. So of course he asked for fireworks today.

I told him I didn't like the idea because "fireworks only look good in the sky." I knew I couldn't draw them well on a snack sack. Nonetheless, I gave him my iPhone. He didn't like the only drawing of the bunch (despite me advocating for it) and continued to search for a few minutes. I dismissed a few of his options because they were too complex. He finally picked a photograph that was simpler than some of the others. He begged me to draw it in color. We got into an argument over something else and I almost didn't draw anything at all. 

I considered picking a different fireworks scene or something altogether different. I stewed on this as I was making his lunch. In the end, I conceded and put together this quarter-hearted effort...in color. I didn't try today. I didn't want to do it and it shows. I didn't draw what I saw, I just drew what would get it done quickly. 

He came by to see it and said, "I love you daddy." My heart swelled and I felt it beating in my chest.

"Do you want to add something else?" he asked when I was finished.

"No," I said, "you can add something if you want to."

"I want to," he replied.

"But you have to read all your books first," I told him. He sensed there was no getting out of this so he started reading obediently.

"Did you already take a picture?" he asked looking up from his book.

"Yes," I said.

"But I was going to add something," he said pleadingly.

"Only if you finish all the books in time," I reminded him.

He didn't. Sometimes being the enforcer means, as a parent, you have to give up something you want too. I was really looking forward to seeing what he might add today. I'm sure Victor didn't know that. He didn't complain. He just continued to read his books slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents