Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Work Site

Work Site

Work Site

Today it was hard to find something to draw.

He started, "You have to put something and then you put designs on it."

"I don't know what that means. You have to be more specific," I pleaded.

"A basket. Or maybe a plate."

"No," I said. He was merely looking around the room for objects to name. Then he gave me a lot of ideas that were repeats of stuff we'd already done: Empire State Building, a TV, etc.

Finally he said, "A fountain." I did a search but he thought they all looked "lame." He finally picked one but I didn't like it. I knew there was no way I'd be able to make this photograph of a fountain look like anything remotely resembling a fountain on this snack sack.

Then he said, "work site," completely out of the blue.

"Work site? Work site? Where the heck did that come from?" I wondered. I kept quiet and did a search.

He looked and looked but didn't like any of the options. We were running out of time. I took my iPhone back and found this silhouetted work site that looked cool so I picked it without his blessing.

These silhouetted drawings take a lot of time even though it always seems that they'll be easier to draw. I messed up the proportions of two of the men and had to draw a new platform, not in the reference drawing, for the guy in the middle. I explained my issues to him as he watched. He got very interested. Several times he repeated both the problem (mistake) and solution (cover-up) out loud. He liked analyzing how I had goofed up and how I had fixed it.

He decided he knew where his name should go and took the Sharpie from me. I don't know why he splits the letters up sometimes like he did here. It bugs my orderly sensibilities, but I'm learning to give him creative license when he takes the Sharpie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents