Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Leprechaun

Leprechaun in a Pot of Gold Coins

"What's for the snack sack today?"

"Cheetah!"

"We've done a cheetah," I said without thinking. Actually, I wasn't sure. I looked it up and, sure enough, we had done a cheetah, exactly 13 months ago.

"Leprechaun," he said, quickly shifting gears.

"We are a few days late. We should have remembered to do a Saint Patrick's Day theme on Monday," I told him, as I ran a search for a leprechaun.

Right away he found one that he liked. "Can you do this? And tomorrow can you do a pot of gold?"

"This is a pot of gold."

"Oh, okay, never mind."

I was thankful that he picked something that wasn't too complicated. I was sick today, fever and all. Chills were running down my body as I drew. I found it hard to stay focused. I wasn't too happy with the finished drawing, but had to laugh because the leprechaun kind of looks like former President George W. Bush. Ha!

He didn't have much to say about it, but brought it home as he has done with all the snack sacks as of late.

"How come you're bringing them all home lately?" I asked him in the afternoon.

"It's because my teacher has run out of room to display them."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. There are over 20 of them up in the room."

"That's pretty cool!"

It's become clear that he's going to bring them all home from now on. Originally, I drew them as disposable sketches and pretty much expected them to be tossed out. He only brought back the ones he especially liked. But now, for us, they are treasured works of art and carry with them special memories we don't want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents