Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Tornado Sucking Up a Cow

A Tornado Sucking Up a Cow

"What's for the snack sack today?"

"Rainstorm," he said right away. It rained here last night.

I shot him a look.

"I know that look on your face."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. It means you don't know."

"It's just that a rainstorm is more of a picture, not a drawing." I looked up rainstorm drawings just in case, but I was right. There were no good options. 

"Tornado!" he exclaimed, shifting gears.

I figured that might have more promise and it did. I ran a search and he picked this one out of the bunch right away. "Can you do this one?" he asked. "A tornado sucking up a cow," he laughed.

"Sure." It looked easy enough.

I got started and it began to take form right away. "How are you such a good drawer?" he asked me as he's done several times before. "I'm not a very good drawer."

"Yes you are. You're doing good and getting better because of practice."

"Yeah, I know," he agreed, acknowledging his progress.

I was finished quickly today. "I like it," he said. "It's cool." He stared at it and laughed, "It's funny because it's sucking up a cow." He's right. The cow really makes this one.

He went back upstairs to get his socks and didn't come back for several minutes.

"Hey Victor! What's taking so long?" I yelled out to him.

"Remember, I'm getting my favorite snack sacks to copy at school," he shouted back from upstairs.

Copy? Hmm that's new. Last night, he explained that he'd taken down all the sacks from his classroom to make room for new ones. Since he had a stack of them with him yesterday at school, he showed them off to all his friends. Apparently he made it a group activity to lay them out and copy them. Many of his friends joined in. 

He came home with his own rendition of Marshmallow the snow monster and Olaf from Frozen. He also did Maleficent.

"Are they good?" he asked, seeking approval.

They were pretty good. "Well, I know exactly what they are supposed to be and that means they're pretty good." I could tell that he was comparing his versions to mine. "You're doing so much better because you're practicing," I said, wishing for him to focus on his own progress.

He finally came downstairs bringing with him a stack of snack sacks about 50 deep. "These are my favorites," he told me.

"Hey, maybe you don't need to bring them all," I suggested.

"But they are for other people to try and copy them."

"Other people copy them?"

"Yeah. One girl did Olaf yesterday. She did really good. It looked exactly like yours."

"Oh really. Cool."

It's nice to think that our little project is encouraging other kids to have fun with drawing. How cool is that!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contents